Nemesis Dry Dock shot

Insignia Class in Drydock

The image above took some time and I’m still not very satisfied with it, but I have decided to put it to bed and post it here. ย The work bees seen here were designed based on some John Eaves designs (again!), and here’s a closer look at it below:ย Here’s John’s original sketch:

My mesh was based on the one in the bottom left :)

This entry was posted in Insignia Class, Starships and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Nemesis Dry Dock shot

1. Casey4147 says:

Longtime lurker, occasional poster. THAT, sir, is frickin’ COOL. I’ve loved the Insignia class since I stumbled across it (might have been around when Of Gods and Men came out but the memory’s fuzzy), although there are a couple of elements I’d change were I the designer (but with none of the experience, skill or time for such things I’m relegated to the bleachers so I’ve been keeping my mouth shut). Please, keep up the good work.

Glad to have drawn you out the shadows! This particular image took me ages for some reason, so it’s always good to get praise. As for the things you’d change I’d be happy to hear them, I just can’t guarantee I’ll ever get round to changing anything ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Casey4147 says:

I recall a section in the back of the NEXT GENERATION TECHNICAL MANUAL where they outlined possible future successors to the Galaxy class. Am I thinking true that this was the basis of the Insignia? I remember a ship design that had the modular saucer, with interchangeable sections depending on what the ship’s mission was. Struck me as a neat idea. One other design caught my fancy, which was the ship with the adjustable warp nacelles – they could slide up or down the pylon, and if memory serves the pylons could change angle as well, resulting in nacelles that could stay at the centerline of the ship but spread further apart or closer together. I’ve a mash-up of those two designs stuck in my head, one of these days I’ll sit and learn some 3D modeling and let it loose upon the world. My only criticism of your Insignia design is it’s a mite too “flat” for me. I love the overall look but wish the primary and secondary hulls had more separation, harkening to the NCC-1701/1701A design. That, and I’d re-locate the ship’s registry off the leading edge of the saucer, which is a removable module, and put it on a part of the ship that’s fixed. But that’s just me. Regardless, looking forward to seeing more.

Yes, the Insignia was definitely inspired by the modular Nova class concept from of the back of the old TNG Technical Manual. I recall the sliding nacelles also being on the same design, although I could be wrong – I’ll have to dust the book off and take a look :)

I have had a few similar comments on the design which I take on board, and I think one of my pictures does actually have a shot of the ship with the markings added to the inner rim by the bridge (http://www.markkingsnorth.com/?p=27). Yes, this ship doesn’t have a “neck” to it, which came about by the fact that it was designed around the time Voyager came out. I agree that the design is a little flat – and it was even flatter than this when I made the first mesh of it! I then revamped the mesh partly for that reason. However, I am probably not going to alter this now though, but will keep it in mind for future ships I may make.

2. Chris Spires says:

Mark,

Awesome addition to the collection man. I’m still working on those deck layouts, this will be a big help in visualizing the structure of those modules. Expect me to hit you up to have this one updated with the name Discovery as well. LOL I have a couple I’ll be begging for soon. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I’m so glad you’ve kept working with Insignia. The newer classes are really nice as well, but Insignia is just something special.

Chris

3. Adm. Zaxxon says:

Hey Mark, you may remember me from a while back when I asked permission to use your planet shot in a project of mine. Just had to say, I love your work and this is yet another example of your talent.

One thing I noticed in this particular shot is the lack of a star field. Did you plan on adding that in later? I wasn’t sure because it looks pretty cool as is, but like I said, not sure.

I love how you incorporated the modular sections of the insignia. I never even thought of them building it that way. I always assumed it was armor plates or something. It looks way better as separate sections.

Keep it up!
    -Z.

Thanks Zaxxon, much appreciated!

Yes, I thought about adding a starfield, but whilst looking at a lot of Earthrise shots and wanting a little 2001: A Space Odyssey-like feel I decided to leave it in this shot.

As for the modular sections – yes, the ship was always supposed to have detachable mission-specific modules for the saucer configuration.