Excelsior Class and Utopia Planitia orbital dock

Excelsior Class in orbit around Utopia Planitia yards on Mars

This is a shot of a Deep Space Nine-style excelsior (hint: the nacelles glow) in orbit over Utopia Planitia.  The orbital dock seen here is a model I did of a station briefly glimpsed at in the Star Trek Voyager episode Relativity.  I didn’t have much reference material at the time, and it’s hard to believe but the model is now just over 10 years old!  Here is a closer shot of it (Click for a larger version):

Utopia Planitia Orbital Station

I’ll put this up for download if there is enough interest in it.

The Excelsior class ship is however, not entirely my own – it was originally Eric Peterson’s mesh which you can get hold of here. I believe Matt Allen and Rob Willson also did some rework of it, and then I have taken it and done some re-modelling and retexturing of it (Phew!).  However my modifications were light and its still a great mesh to use.

Oh, and if I don’t speak to any of you before – Merry Christmas! ;)

This entry was posted in Excelsior Class, Spacedock and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Excelsior Class and Utopia Planitia orbital dock

1. Destral says:

Nice! Please do make the station available, I’ve been searching for a model of this station for years with no success. And Merry Christmas :D

2. Leon says:

Lovely picture, and a merry belated christmas to you too :)

Wow..10 years…its holding up well!

You seem to have a nice blog going here, It’d be great to see you back on SFM (the place really needs people, its like a ghost town :P). If your time permitts that :)

Have a great 2011!

Hi Leon, I try to show my face on SFM every now and again, but unfortunately life commitments slow me down a little :( I shall make an effort to make a contribution there in 2011 :D

3. José Cassio says:

Hi Mark!
    Count on me as interested in have a copy of that station, as the excelsior “refit” to. :D
    I read that now you´re a married man. Welcome to the club! :D I married eight years ago, and I have a little girl with seven years old and a little boy with two years old. It´s funny, but sometimes I got myself tired of running from here to there playing with them. ;)
    If I don´t speak to you until there – Happy new year!!

That’s great news! I found the wedding planning stressful enough, let alone starting a family! I look forward to it thoroughly, however. Even though I’m technically a grown up I still love “playing with spaceships” as my wife puts it. She actively encourages it at times, in fact (I think it gives her a little peace).

4. lonewriter says:

I’d also love to have this spacedock mesh, will it and the Ingsignia mesh work with Max 2009?

At the moment I only have them in 2010 format….unfortunately I don’t know if it is backwards compatible with 3DS Max 9. Can you give it a try and let me know?

• Cassio says:

No Mark, I´m pretty sure there isn´t native backward compatibility. A workaround is do it by 3ds or fbx formats. In my experience I can say that fbx is the better cause it preserves uv´s and maps. No mesh errors at all for the most of times. ;)
        Max 2010 comes with fbx exporter, but it is in a different version taht you can find for max 9. Therefore, Autodesk mades available for free a standalone tool that can exchange between the versions. ;)

5. Pingback: Orbital Station mesh available for download « Mark Kingsnorth