Eaves class, with further improvements

After last week’s comments I’ve added some improvements to the mesh, namely:

• Better hull detailing
  • Thrusters!
  • Thickened the phaser strips – they were there all along but I had made them a little too thin for people to recognise easily.
  • Redone the bussard collectors so you can see “inside” them.
  • Added some detailing around the deflector, although I haven’t added to the deflector as I simply liked the effect.
  • Added bridge detailing.

Thoughts?

P.S. The “Falcon” namesake is – what else? – a Star Wars reference

This entry was posted in Eaves Class, Starships and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Eaves class, with further improvements

1. Eric says:

I think if I were doing the “fan film” thing, I’d want this to be my ship! It looks great.
    I figured the thin lines were phaser arrays, but it had me wondering if the ship was going to be bigger than I first thought. (How big do you think it would be?)
    Looking forward to seeing some other angles, too.

Hi Eric, not sure about the size just yet – about the same ballpark as the Sovereign. I’ll do some measuring and let you know.

2. Markus says:

Great improvements. I like it alot. King John should be pleased 😉

3. Casey4147 says:

Looks really nice, but I’m puzzled a bit as to what stays with the Star-Drive section when the ship separates. Is the saucer Bridge directly under the Star-Drive Bridge when docked? I thought the Impulse Engines would be on the saucer, but they appear to be on the Star-Drive. Looking forward to the (hopefully on the way) Separation video of it to answer my questions.

Hi Casey,

John’s sketch states that the “Saucer splits off to become two battleships, the bridge is suspended in the center of the open saucer ring on the main starship”. Initially looking at the sketch it seemed that the bridge detached as part of the inner saucer and left a hole in the main starship, but based on John’s comment I modelled two bridges – one on the inner saucer and one on the main starship. When in docked mode, the inner saucer’s ‘battle bridge’ is directly below the ‘main bridge’, so it would be very quick to get from one to the other. There, you see: I have thought about this! 😉

As for the impulse engines, yes, the main ones stay with the main starship and I have modelled one big central one in the back of the inner saucer section, which I’ll make sure to show in future renders.

A saucer separation animation? Yes, it’s definitely on the cards :)

• Casey4147 says:

“John’s sketch states that the “Saucer splits off to become two battleships, the bridge is suspended in the center of the open saucer ring on the main starship”. Initially looking at the sketch it seemed that the bridge detached as part of the inner saucer and left a hole in the main starship…”

Yes, that was my take on the sketch, too, and I assumed a Battle Bridge would be buried in the neck or Star-Drive section somewhere. I think I like your reinterpretation better. Definitely looking forward to seeing more…

• Casey4147 says:

“When in docked mode, the inner saucer’s ‘battle bridge’ is directly below the ‘main bridge’, so it would be very quick to get from one to the other.”

I just had a flash of inspiration – an single, larger, two-level bridge (or a “main bridge” that stays with the saucer with a “balcony” bridge that stays with the Star Drive) that separates into two when the ship does. Not sure how it’d wall itself off but it’d be a hell of a visual as crew members arrange themselves when the ship splits.

That sounds like an excellent idea! I can see it now, very dramatic. I like the thought of “future” starships having much larger bridges as well, much like the ST:Online trailers seem to suggest.

• Casey4147 says:

I can see a pair of bulkheads come up from the floor to wall off the back of the Saucer bridge section and the front of the Star Drive bridge section. A “pool table” console like the NX-01 had at the back of the bridge could serve as the separated Con & Ops station, with pull out chairs like the NCC-1701D had on the back consoles that were only occasionally used.

4. Craig Oxbrow says:

Lovely… I look forward to big beauty shots and flybys and all that.

(If I ever get around to running an RPG, this might be my Enterprise 1701-G…)

5. Tyson says:

This looks fan-freaking-tastic mate! You’ve done Johns sketch proud and I feel this ship is more than worthy of the name “Eaves”.
    I did one have thought about the saucer section, on the sides the outlined area that contains the registry and grills looks like it could extend out with mini warp coils, like the Delta Flyer does when it launches. Then you’d really have two independent battleships to deal with.
    Anyway, just an idea, I really like this ship man, keep up the great work.

6. Percy says:

Hello Mark,

I love what you did with Eaves’ concept. Could you do a favor for me and render a picture lik that one

in 2560x1600px so I could use it as my new desktop background? Would be really cool! :-)

Keep up the great work,
    Percy

7. Richard N says:

I absolutely love the design. I’ve only recently been introduced to your blog and they’re all fantastic. I really like the saucer-mounted deflector; it’s a design element I’m surprised isn’t more common. It seems like the saucer should have visible warp nacelles after separation. I assume the saucer is also warp capable in situations where the drive section needs to cover their retreat. It would have velocities more akin to a Runabout but it should definitely have that ability.