I have created a Blender Add-on that can quickly create hull plating patterns on an existing mesh. One of the most time consuming things I’ve found is how to create an interlocking plating pattern on top of meshes such as spaceship hulls. The most effective method is to manually extrude edge loops over and over, which can be very time consuming. The more detailed you want the mesh to be, the longer it will take.
You can view a tutorial on how to use the add-on here:
- Quickly generate a plating pattern from a random seed.
- The pattern can be generated on a whole quad based mesh or on a sub selection of quad faces.
- Control the amount of grooves cut.
- Control the depth of the grooves between the plates.
- Control the thickness of the grooves between the plates.
- Option to split the edges on a smooth mesh to ensure the edges are cleanly defined.
- Option to completely remove the grooves and leave the plates intact.
- No hidden geometry created, actions are performed directly on the mesh.
Any comments or queries feel free to message me via this page or on my Twitter account.