Building on my popular Nebula Generator in Blender, last year I decided to take things even further and used Houdini to create sophisticated nebula effects, deciding on the Redshift Renderer for its speed when rendering 3D volumes. The results are on my ArtStation:
The course itself is a culmination of that learning over the year, and after some long hours in the editing room, it certainly has been a labor of love.
So, I present to you the 3D Nebula Creation Course – here is the trailer:
The course videos start by assuming a very basic knowledge of Houdini and Redshift, building in complexity as time goes on.
The 3 hours of step-by-step 4K videos have sample Houdini Indie files for each stage of my process, including:
- Creation of customizable cloud set ups using VDBs and Volume VOPs.
- Adding customizable effects such as stars and volumetric gas.
- Setting up an automated lighting rig.
- Using meta-ball objects and particles to shape the nebula.
- Rendering the nebula for both stills and animation.
- Post processing techniques on the final result.